1) Next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding; as, an after period of life.
2) Hinder; nearer the rear.
3) To ward the stern of the ship; -- applied to any object in the rear part of a vessel; as the after cabin, after hatchway.
4) Subsequently in time or place; behind; afterward; as, he follows after.
1) Behind in place; as, men in line one after another.
2) Below in rank; next to in order.
3) Later in time; subsequent; as, after supper, after three days. It often precedes a clause. Formerly that was interposed between it and the clause.
4) Subsequent to and in consequence of; as, after what you have said, I shall be careful.
5) Subsequent to and notwithstanding; as, after all our advice, you took that course.
6) Moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of.
7) Denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to; as, to look after workmen; to inquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness.
8) In imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of; as, to make a thing after a model; a picture after Rubens; the boy takes after his father.
9) According to; in accordance with; in conformity with the nature of; as, he acted after his kind.
10) According to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting.
Example Sentences for
1) Surely not, with his gentle blue 132 The Scarlet Pimpernel eyes, which were looking so tenderly and longingly After little Suzanne, who was being led away from the pleasant TETE-A TETE by her stern mother.
2) If interested, I was to appear in a well-known tavern that evening After dark.
3) Her eyes were swollen and red; she rocked herself to and fro; tossed her head; and, After a little time, burst out laughing.
4) That had been way at the beginning, After the rst time she had lunch with him, and he had called her the day After Harding had resigned as chairman.
5) It was named After a queen in Greek mythology called Cassiopeia
6) His Javanese peasant parents divorced not long After his birth , and he was passed between foster parents for much of his childhood
7) In practice, the world is just one random material situation After another, without overall point or pattern.
8) Even After the revelation of what he was, she was shocked at how easily he lifted her and set her back on the bed
9) Chauvelin and his thirty men had all heard with their own ears that accursed voice singing God save the King,sfully twenty minutes After they had all taken cover around the hut; by that time the four fugitives must have reached the creek, and got into the boat, and the nearest creek was more than a mile from the hut.
10) So far the pilot had managed to knock out all the drones; the enemy hadn't sent any fighters After him yet.
11) Moody wrote a second book , Reflections on Life After Life , in 1977
12) It was named After M. Gaillard de Charentonneau , an 18th-century French magistrate who was a patron of botany
13) She had moved back into the city After the Ration Warhaving moved out in 1980-and then failing services and rising crime had forced her out again.
14) Look After your legs if you do!’ ‘Stand still a moment, and I ll get you one,sreplied the voice.
15) It is named After Niels Bohr
16) There was a sense of extreme disappointment, as though I had found out I had been striving After something altogether without a substance
17) But After snow came more snow.
18) And as they sat around the dinner table on Sunday night, After Marshall left, they looked and felt like the survivors of a shipwreck.
19) Napoleon made another Polish state , `` the Duchy of Warsaw ' , but After the Napoleonic wars , Poland was split again by the countries at the Congress of Vienna
20) In Italy , the siege of Cremona by the condottieri troops of Francesco Piccinino and Luigi dal Verme is raised After the arrival of Scaramuccia da Forlì
21) Alice waited a little, half expecting to see it again, but it did not appear, and After a minute or two she walked on 54 Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland in the direction in which the March Hare was said to live. ‘I ve seen hatters before,sshe said to herself; the March Hare will be much the most interesting, and perhaps as this is May it won’t be raving mad—at least not so mad as it was in March.sAs she said this, she looked up, and there was the Cat again, sitting on a branch of a tree. ‘Did you say pig, or fig?ssaid the Cat. ‘I said pig,sreplied Alice; and I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly: you make one quite giddy.’ ‘All right,ssaid the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time After the rest of it had gone. ‘Well!
22) It increased however partly again After 1844 , when Trnava was connected with Bratislava through the first railway line in the Kingdom of Hungary , which was a horse railway -LRB- steam engines were used since 1872 -RRB-
23) Madra must have hung up the phone because her ringtone started to echo in my room again as I smashed picture frame After picture frame on the floor.
24) This was done shortly After the WWE Intercontinental Championship was recommissioned by the Raw brand , making the title its equal counterpart
25) For Eliot, those who pant After the idealsare in one sense admirable; but they also risk a withering of human sympathies, even if, ironically, the ideal in question is one of love and compassion.
26) “Remember another rule: While everyone in this world strives to get somewhere and become someone, only to leave it all behind After death, you aim for the supreme stage of nothingness.
27) After that she e mailed the members of the board and asked them to come in the day After her meeting with Harding.
28) I hopped into my car After showering and started my car up.
29) She grew up in Europe and the United States , and lived in Burma for a time After her first marriage
30) Seals, turtles, salmon, and so on; then, when you’ve cleared all the jelly-fish out of the way—’ ‘THAT generally takes some time,sinterrupted the Gryphon. ‘—you advance twice—’ ‘Each with a lobster as a partner!scried the Gryphon. 86 Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland ‘Of course,sthe Mock Turtle said: advance twice, set to partners—’ ‘—change lobsters, and retire in same order,scontinued the Gryphon. ‘Then, you know,sthe Mock Turtle went on, you throw the—’ ‘The lobsters!sshouted the Gryphon, with a bound into the air. ‘—as far out to sea as you can—’ ‘Swim After them!sscreamed the Gryphon. ‘Turn a somersault in the sea!scried the Mock Turtle, capering wildly about. ‘Change lobster’s again!syelled the Gryphon at the top of its voice. ‘Back to land again, and that’s all the first figure,ssaid the Mock Turtle, suddenly dropping his voice; and the two creatures, who had been jumping about like mad things all this time, sat down again very sadly and quietly, and looked at Alice. ‘It must be a very pretty dance,ssaid Alice timidly. ‘Would you like to see a little of it?ssaid the Mock Turtle. ‘Very much indeed,ssaid Alice. ‘Come, let’s try the first figure!ssaid the Mock Turtle to the Gryphon.