1) Next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding; as, an after period of life.
2) Hinder; nearer the rear.
3) To ward the stern of the ship; -- applied to any object in the rear part of a vessel; as the after cabin, after hatchway.
4) Subsequently in time or place; behind; afterward; as, he follows after.
1) Behind in place; as, men in line one after another.
2) Below in rank; next to in order.
3) Later in time; subsequent; as, after supper, after three days. It often precedes a clause. Formerly that was interposed between it and the clause.
4) Subsequent to and in consequence of; as, after what you have said, I shall be careful.
5) Subsequent to and notwithstanding; as, after all our advice, you took that course.
6) Moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of.
7) Denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to; as, to look after workmen; to inquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness.
8) In imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of; as, to make a thing after a model; a picture after Rubens; the boy takes after his father.
9) According to; in accordance with; in conformity with the nature of; as, he acted after his kind.
10) According to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting.
Examples Sentences for
1) It is the second largest University of Applied Sciences in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia , After the Fachhochschule Köln -LRB- Cologne -RRB-
2) “I don’t trust anyone’s matchmaking abilities After some of the blind dates I went on arranged by friends.
3) In biogeography , particularly phytogeography , the tabula rasa hypothesis about the origin of a biota in formerly glaciated areas refers to the idea that all species have immigrated into completely denuded land After the retreat of glaciers
4) Edward, who had till then looked any where, rather than at her, saw her hurry away, and perhaps saw— or even heard, her emotion; for immediately Afterwards he fell into a reverie, which no remarks, no inquiries, no affectionate address of Mrs Dashwood could penetrate, and at last, without saying a word, quitted the room, and walked out towards the village—leaving the others in the greatest astonishment and perplexity on a change in his situation, so wonderful and so sudden;—a perplexity which they had no means of lessening but by their own conjectures. 432 Sense and Sensibility Chapter 49 U naccountable, however, as the circumstances of his release might appear to the whole family, it was certain that Edward was free; and to what purpose that freedom would be employed was easily pre-determined by all;—for After experiencing the blessings of ONE imprudent engagement, contracted without his mother’s consent, as he had already done for more than four years, nothing less could be expected of him in the failure of THAT, than the immediate contraction of another.
5) The surface temperature at perihelion could reach ~ 1025 K , or 1400 F. For this reason , it was named After the Greek myth of Phaëton , son of the sun god Helios
6) No more jolly old coffins, Charlotte, but a gentleman’s life for me: and, if yer like, yer shall be a lady.’ ‘I should like that well enough, dear,sreplied Charlotte; ‘but tills ain’t to be emptied every day, and people to get clear off After it.’ ‘Tills be blowed!ssaid Mr Claypole; there’s more things besides tills to be emptied.’ ‘What do you mean?sasked his companion. ‘Pockets, women’s ridicules, houses, mail-coaches, banks!’ said Mr Claypole, rising with the porter. ‘But you can’t do all that, dear,ssaid Charlotte. ‘I shall look out to get into company with them as can,’ replied Noah.
7) 98 -- Trajan becomes Roman Emperor After the death of Nerva
8) Her parents had gotten divorced a few years later, her mother had died when she was in college, and her father had remarried and moved away, and died a few years After that.
9) A few days After my dinner with Uncle Batta, a fellow named Bryan Hart, who'd heard me speak in Florida, called and offered our foundation a large sum of money as a gift.
10) When you came down here to dump me last week and told me about it After you changed your mind, it was over for me.
11) On 23 July 2007 , he died in the compound of the presidential palace in Kabul After prolonged illness
12) It happened that about this time, Mr Giles, Brittles, and the tinker, were recruiting themselves, After the fatigues and terrors of the night, with tea and sundries, in the kitchen.
13) I had money with me and gained the friendship of the villagers by distributing it; or I brought with me some food that I had killed, which, After taking a small part, I always presented to those who had provided me with fire and utensils for cooking.
14) We Europeans of the day After tomorrow, we firstlings of the twentieth centuryówith all our dangerous curiosity, our multifariousness and art of disguising, our mellow and seemingly sweetened cruelty in sense and spiritówe shall presumably, IF we must have virtues, have those only which have come to agreement with our most secret and heartfelt inclinations, with our most ardent requirements: well, then, let us look for them in our labyrinths!ówhere, as we know, so many things lose themselves, so many things get quite lost!
15) This lady was still complaining After being offered two free oil changes and half-off of a brake job.
16) It was named After a daughter of Aether and Hemera from Greek mythology
17) The Romans capture Serdica -LRB- modern Sofia -RRB- , named After the Celtic tribe the Serdi
18) They’ll never expect to nab me there, After this country scent.
19) We dried each other After our shower and headed back out into the heat.
20) In linguistics , a suffix -LRB- also sometimes called a postfix or ending -RRB- is an affix which is placed After the stem of a word
21) In those times when God makes me work harder and harder for my goals, putting one stumbling block After another in my path, I truly believe that He is preparing me for bigger and better days.
22) The last prince of Lippe was forced to abdicate in 1918 After the end of World War I when Germany became a republic ; his country became a Freistaat in the German republic
23) Her assistant always had two Advils and a glass of water waiting on Fiona’s desk when she got back to her o ce After a board meeting, and today would be no di erent.
24) And After all, what do we know of ourselves?
25) From 1940 until 1957 the city was named Molotov -LRB- -RRB- , After Vyacheslav Molotov
26) According to Lavigne , she wrote the song After asking Disney executives and director Tim Burton for a role on the soundtrack
27) Those who submit to the divine essence of life will live in unperturbed tranquillity and peace even when the whole wide world goes through turbulence After turbulence.
28) “I can’t live like this!” he shouted at her one morning After the girls left for camp.
29) Guernsey and Jersey decide , After a plebiscite of wealthy land owners , to remain with the English crown After Normandy was recaptured by Philip II of France
30) The boy went out and Mr Henchy began to rub his hands cheerfully, saying: ‘Ah, well, he’s not so bad After all.