imp. & p. p.
1) of Demand
Example Sentences for
1) The confrontation that led to the people of Paris storming the Bastille on 14 July 1789 , following several days of disturbances , resulted from the fact that gunpowder and arms had been stored there , and the people -LRB- whose fears had been raised by a number of rumors -RRB- Demanded access to these
2) Closing his ears to the clamours of those readers who begged him to let his heroine live, Richardson knew that realism Demanded that she die.
3) After a long pause of reflection I concluded that the justice due both to him and my fellow creatures Demanded of me that I should comply with his request.
4) But emotions were, indeed, wild horses, and they Demanded to be heard.
5) Alas, he who knows the heart finds out how poor, helpless, pretentious, and blundering even the best and deepest love isóhe finds that it rather DESTROYS than saves!óIt is possible that under the holy fable and travesty of the life of Jesus there is hidden one of the most painful cases of the martyrdom of KNOWLEDGE ABOUT LOVE: the martyrdom of the most innocent and most craving heart, that never had enough of any human love, that Demanded love, that Demanded inexorably and frantically to be loved and nothing else, with terrible outbursts against 230 Beyond Good and Evil those who refused him their love; the story of a poor soul insatiated and insatiable in love, that had to invent hell to send thither those who WOULD NOT love himóand that at last, enlightened about human love, had to invent a God who is entire love, entire CAPACITY for loveówho takes pity on human love, because it is so paltry, so ignorant!
6) If that same memory does not, even now, play me a trick, I fancy that you refused me ALL explanation then, and Demanded of my love a humiliating allegiance it was not prepared to give.’ ‘I wished to test your love for me, and it did not bear the test.
7) Caleb's mistreatment by members of Raymond's band results in the expulsion of Gines for not being up to the level of humanity Demanded by the robber leader.
8) The first sentence of chapter three, Containing the Inside of a Prison, deals with garnish; Booth immediately is accosted and garnish Demanded of him.
9) She dressed in white, and had a little white roadster and all day long the telephone rang in her house and excited young officers from Camp Tay80 The Great Gatsby lor Demanded the privilege of monopolizing her that night, ‘anyways, for an hour!’
10) Now that Liu Bei had his own empire , Sun quan Demanded his western province back from him , but Liu Bei declined
11) In the Protestant Reformation Bern favored the new Protestant teaching and Demanded liberty of preaching for the Reformers Guillaume Farel and Antoine Froment , but Catholic Fribourg renounced in its union with Geneva in 1511
12) When asked what that was, the Persian answered “angoor,” the Greek said “staphalion,” the Arab asked for “aneb,” and the Turk Demanded “üzüm.”
13) Arabs Demanded compensation and on refusal by Raja Dahir , Muhammad Bin Qasim invaded this area in April 712 and conquered the whole territory up to Multan
14) But, as neither of these criminals answered to the name of Oliver, or knew anything about him, Nancy made straight up to the bluff officer in the striped waistcoat; and with the most piteous wailings and lamentations, rendered more piteous by a prompt and efficient use of the street-door key and the little basket, Demanded her own dear brother. ‘I haven’t got him, my dear,ssaid the old man. ‘Where is he?sscreamed Nancy, in a distracted manner. ‘Why, the gentleman’s got him,sreplied the officer. ‘What gentleman!
15) At first Sun Quan nominally served as a Cao Wei vassal with the Cao Wei-created title of Prince of Wu , but after Cao Pi Demanded that he send his son Sun Deng as a hostage to the Cao Wei capital Luoyang and he refused , in 222 , he declared himself independent by changing era name
16) She had been stunned when he Demanded that she turn down the job or he would leave her.
17) She returned to the house about eight o clock, and when one inquired where she had passed the night, she replied that she had been looking for the child and Demanded earnestly if anything had been heard concerning him.
18) Defoe accordingly Demanded laws which acknowledged the condition of the poor, rather than a system which first drove them to poverty and then hanged them for it.
19) But emotions were, indeed, wild horses, and they Demanded to be heard.
20) Then en tered another boy and Demanded his stockings in the like petition ing manner; another begged his hat, another his coat, another his waistcoat, all of which he bestowed without hesitation; but, when the last boy came in and petitioned for his shirt, No, I won't said Harry, a little moody, I want a shirt myself.
21) In 1934 , the McDaniel family moved to the largely black South Side area of Chicago , where the young man dropped the name Otha and became known as Ellas McDaniel , until his musical ambitions Demanded that he take on a more catchy identity
22) Since the French Revolution the influence of woman in Europe has DE174 Beyond Good and Evil CLINED in proportion as she has increased her rights and claims; and the emancipation of woman,sinsofar as it is desired and Demanded by women themselves (and not only by masculine shallow-pates), thus proves to be a remarkable symptom of the increased weakening and deadening of the most womanly instincts.
23) From the Middle Ages on, the Tradition of the Moon had Demanded that witches surround their activities with absolute secrecy, for there were several prophecies warning that Darkness would return at the end of the millennium.
24) Alas, he who knows the heart finds out how poor, helpless, pretentious, and blundering even the best and deepest love isóhe finds that it rather DESTROYS than saves!óIt is possible that under the holy fable and travesty of the life of Jesus there is hidden one of the most painful cases of the martyrdom of KNOWLEDGE ABOUT LOVE: the martyrdom of the most innocent and most craving heart, that never had enough of any human love, that Demanded love, that Demanded inexorably and frantically to be loved and nothing else, with terrible outbursts against 230 Beyond Good and Evil those who refused him their love; the story of a poor soul insatiated and insatiable in love, that had to invent hell to send thither those who WOULD NOT love himóand that at last, enlightened about human love, had to invent a God who is entire love, entire CAPACITY for loveówho takes pity on human love, because it is so paltry, so ignorant!
25) Endurance is needed to travel the distances Demanded in dogsled travel , which may be anything from five to eighty miles -LRB- 8 to 130 km -RRB- or more a day
26) She feels herself drawn out of the community around her, of what we might call the symbolic order of society, into the presence of this formidable enemy of hers – this other thing, this truth, this reality, which suddenly laid hands on her, emerged stark at the back of appearances and Demanded her attention’.
27) As the lady had stated her intention of screaming, of course she would have screamed at this additional boldness, but that the exertion was rendered unnecessary by a hasty knocking at the door: which was no sooner heard, than Mr Bumble darted, with much agility, to the wine bottles, and began dusting them with great violence: while the matron sharply Demanded who was there.
28) In order to do so, witchcraft Demanded that he first become a Teacher, and that he never infringe the one limitation placed on all Teachers of the Tradition of the Moon: never to interfere with another person’s free will.
29) Shrinking to the furthest corner of the seat, he Demanded to know what they wanted there. ‘Steady,ssaid the turnkey, still holding him down.
30) Without the aid of these forms, the problems raised by the novel could never be resolved by it; and Dickens is writing in an age when, unlike today, readers Demanded resolutions and felt cheated if they were not delivered.