imp. & p. p.
1) of Demand
Example Sentences for
1) When asked what that was, the Persian answered “angoor,” the Greek said “staphalion,” the Arab asked for “aneb,” and the Turk Demanded “üzüm.”
2) I lived in their houses, slept in their beds, stayed in their summer resorts, ate the food they cooked, wore their husbandssclothes, shopped with their credit cards, and refused to give them even a speck of the love they Demanded and no doubt deserved.
3) She returned to the house about eight o clock, and when one inquired where she had passed the night, she replied that she had been looking for the child and Demanded earnestly if anything had been heard concerning him.
4) She feels herself drawn out of the community around her, of what we might call the symbolic order of society, into the presence of this formidable enemy of hers – this other thing, this truth, this reality, which suddenly laid hands on her, emerged stark at the back of appearances and Demanded her attention’.
5) Endurance is needed to travel the distances Demanded in dogsled travel , which may be anything from or more a day
6) You used to tell me that you drew the very breath of life but for me, and for love of me.’ ‘And to probe that love, you Demanded that I should forfeit mine honour,she said, whilst gradually his impassiveness seemed to leave him, his rigidity to relax; that I should accept without murmur or question, as a dumb and submissive slave, every action of my mistress.
7) From the Middle Ages on, the Tradition of the Moon had Demanded that witches surround their activities with absolute secrecy, for there were several prophecies warning that Darkness would return at the end of the millennium.
8) This morning, as I sat watching the wan countenance of my friend— his eyes half closed and his limbs hanging listlessly— I was roused by half a dozen of the sailors, who Demanded admission into the cabin.
9) Tell him Mr Carraway came over.’ ‘Who?she Demanded rudely. ‘Carraway.’ ‘Carraway.
10) She dressed in white, and had a little white roadster and all day long the telephone rang in her house and excited young officers from Camp Tay80 The Great Gatsby lor Demanded the privilege of monopolizing her that night, ‘anyways, for an hour!’
11) Critical discipline, and every habit that conduces to purity and rigour in intellectual matters, will not only be Demanded from themselves by these philosophers of the future, they may even make a display thereof as their special adornmentó nevertheless they will not want to be called critics on that account.
12) Giles popped out his nightcap again, preparatory to making some reply, when he was suddenly pulled back by a young gentleman who occupied the other corner of the chaise, and who eagerly Demanded what was the news. ‘In a word!scried the gentleman, Better or worse?’
13) I hastened to return home, and Elizabeth eagerly Demanded the result. ‘My cousin,sreplied I it is decided as you may have expected; all judges had rather that ten innocent should suffer than that one guilty should escape.
14) Arabs Demanded compensation and on refusal by Raja Dahir , Muhammad Bin Qasim invaded this area in April 712 and conquered the whole territory up to Multan
15) The first sentence of chapter three, Containing the Inside of a Prison, deals with garnish; Booth immediately is accosted and garnish Demanded of him.
16) In order to do so, witchcraft Demanded that he first become a Teacher, and that he never infringe the one limitation placed on all Teachers of the Tradition of the Moon: never to interfere with another person’s free will.
17) It is worthy of remark, as a curious physical instance of the efficacy of a sudden surprise in counteracting the effects of extreme fear, that her voice had quite recovered all its official asperity. ‘If you please, mistress,ssaid a withered old female pauper, hideously ugly: putting her head in at the door, Old Sally is a going fast.’ ‘Well, what’s that to me?sangrily Demanded the matron. ‘I can’t keep her alive, can I ’ ‘No, no, mistress,sreplied the old woman, nobody can; she’s far beyond the reach of help.
18) She returned to the house about eight o clock, and when one inquired where she had passed the night, she replied that she had been looking for the child and Demanded earnestly if anything had been heard concerning him.
19) Local sentiment Demanded incorporation to prevent the relentless high-rise development of Ocean City from creeping north into Fenwick Island
20) As the lady had stated her intention of screaming, of course she would have screamed at this additional boldness, but that the exertion was rendered unnecessary by a hasty knocking at the door: which was no sooner heard, than Mr Bumble darted, with much agility, to the wine bottles, and began dusting them with great violence: while the matron sharply Demanded who was there.
21) Giles popped out his nightcap again, preparatory to making some reply, when he was suddenly pulled back by a young gentleman who occupied the other corner of the chaise, and who eagerly Demanded what was the news. ‘In a word!scried the gentleman, Better or worse?’
22) Beyond the many fees Demanded by keepers, the prisoner was also subject to garnish, the fee Demanded of incoming prisoners by those al ready in jail.
23) Since the French Revolution the influence of woman in Europe has DE174 Beyond Good and Evil CLINED in proportion as she has increased her rights and claims; and the emancipation of woman,sinsofar as it is desired and Demanded by women themselves (and not only by masculine shallow-pates), thus proves to be a remarkable symptom of the increased weakening and deadening of the most womanly instincts.
24) When he saw us Tom jumped up and took half a dozen steps in our direction. ‘Where’ve you been?she Demanded eagerly.
25) Then en tered another boy and Demanded his stockings in the like petition ing manner; another begged his hat, another his coat, another his waistcoat, all of which he bestowed without hesitation; but, when the last boy came in and petitioned for his shirt, No, I won't said Harry, a little moody, I want a shirt myself.
26) As we entered he wheeled excitedly around and examined Jordan from head to foot. ‘What do you think?she Demanded impetuously. ‘About what?’
27) In 1934 , the McDaniel family moved to the largely black South Side area of Chicago , where the young man dropped the name Otha and became known as Ellas McDaniel , until his musical ambitions Demanded that he take on a more catchy identity
28) There was a dignity about him that Demanded respect
29) A dog growled as he touched the handle of a room-door; and a man’s voice Demanded who was there. ‘Only me, Bill; only me, my dear,ssaid the Jew looking in. ‘Bring in your body then,ssaid Sikes.
30) He then, in cant terms, with which his whole conversation was plentifully besprinkled, but which would be quite unintelligible if they were recorded here, Demanded a glass of liquor. ‘And mind you don’t poison it,ssaid Mr Sikes, laying his hat upon the table.