1) Having the heaves.
2) Heavily; -- sometimes used in composition; as, heavy-laden.
1) Heaved or lifted with labor; not light; weighty; ponderous; as, a heavy stone; hence, sometimes, large in extent, quantity, or effects; as, a heavy fall of rain or snow; a heavy failure; heavy business transactions, etc.; often implying strength; as, a heavy barrier; also, difficult to move; as, a heavy draught.
2) Not easy to bear; burdensome; oppressive; hard to endure or accomplish; hence, grievous, afflictive; as, heavy yokes, expenses, undertakings, trials, news, etc.
3) Laden with that which is weighty; encumbered; burdened; bowed down, either with an actual burden, or with care, grief, pain, disappointment.
4) Slow; sluggish; inactive; or lifeless, dull, inanimate, stupid; as, a heavy gait, looks, manners, style, and the like; a heavy writer or book.
5) Strong; violent; forcible; as, a heavy sea, storm, cannonade, and the like.
6) Loud; deep; -- said of sound; as, heavy thunder.
7) Dark with clouds, or ready to rain; gloomy; -- said of the sky.
8) Impeding motion; cloggy; clayey; -- said of earth; as, a heavy road, soil, and the like.
9) Not raised or made light; as, heavy bread.
10) Not agreeable to, or suitable for, the stomach; not easily digested; -- said of food.
11) Having much body or strength; -- said of wines, or other liquors.
12) With child; pregnant.
1) To make heavy.
Example Sentences for
1) Sorrow was a Heavy burden and she felt it equally in both forms
2) He just looked at me and drew in a deep breath, as if my presence were a Heavy burden on his shoulders.
3) So she sat on, with closed eyes, and half believed herself in Wonderland, though she knew she had but to open them again, and all would change to dull reality—the grass would be only rustling in the wind, and the pool rippling to the waving of the reeds—the rattling teacups would change to tinkling sheepbells, and the Queen’s shrill cries to the voice of the shepherd boy—and the sneeze of the baby, the shriek of the Gryphon, and all thy other queer noises, would 110 Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland change (she knew) to the confused clamour of the busy farm-yard—while the lowing of the cattle in the distance would take the place of the Mock Turtle’s Heavy sobs.
4) The Baudelaire children listened to his Heavy footsteps go up the stairs to the tower they were forbidden to enter
5) To treat her with unkindness, to speak of her slightingly is no atonement to Marianne—nor can I suppose it a relief to your own conscience.’ ‘Do not talk to me of my wife,ssaid he with a Heavy sigh.— She does not deserve your compassion.—She knew I had no regard for her when we married.—Well, married we were, and came down to Combe Magna to be happy, and afterwards returned to town to be gay.—And now do you pity me, Miss Dashwood?—or have I said all this to no purpose?— Am I be it only one degree—am I less guilty in your opinion than I was before?—My intentions were not always wrong.
6) His early work is often concerned with the figure in the landscape and comprises many paintings of groups of large , Heavy figures in the landscape , imaginatively painted
7) Get Heavy is the self-titled debut album from the Finnish hard rock/Heavy metal band Lordi
8) The BCT -LRB- Brigade Combat Team -RRB- Ground Combat Vehicle -LRB- GCV -RRB- Program is the U.S. Armys replacement program for Heavy tracked and wheeled armored fighting vehicles
9) That morning’s Heavy clouds had been replaced by a clear sky from which the last rays of the setting sun were now fading.
10) When his assumed name had been repeated several times, Noah rubbed his eyes, and, giving a Heavy yawn, looked sleepily about him. ‘Tell me that again—once again, just for him to hear,ssaid the Jew, pointing to Sikes as he spoke. ‘Tell yer what?sasked the sleepy Noah, shaking himself pettishy. 556 Oliver Twist ‘That about—NANCY,ssaid Fagin, clutching Sikes by the wrist, as if to prevent his leaving the house before he had heard enough.
11) Single Although the song has not been officially released yet , it currently receives Heavy radio airplay on Mainstream Urban stations
12) In the dark of my room I imagined that I saw again the Heavy grey face of the paralytic.
13) Now, if you stand there, refusing to give evidence, I ll punish you for disrespect to the bench; I will, by—‘ By what, or by whom, nobody knows, for the clerk and jailor coughed very loud, just at the right moment; and the 116 Oliver Twist former dropped a Heavy book upon the floor, thus preventing the word from being heard—accidently, of course.
14) “That’s a Heavy drug scene.
15) In 1990 , the band was nominated for an American Music Award for `` Best New Heavy Metal Band '
16) What a lazybones yer are, Charlotte.’ ‘It’s a Heavy load, I can tell you,ssaid the female, coming up, almost breathless with fatigue. ‘Heavy!
17) He was ashamed of the tightness in his gut, the knots lying Heavy in his belly
18) There was a steady Heavy dripping sound from the door and the air was acrid with smoke and the smell of fresh meat.
19) The band was one of the creators of a very theatrical and type of Heavy metal music that was designed to shock and would come to be known as `` shock rock
20) In about half an hour her mother returned, and though her eyes were red, her countenance was not uncheerful. ‘Our dear Willoughby is now some miles from Barton, Elinor,ssaid she, as she sat down to work, and with how Heavy a heart does he travel?’ ‘It is all very strange.
21) Rage are a German Heavy metal band , formed in 1984
22) The present in Hardy may not only lead to an unpredictable future; it is also Heavy with the burden of the past.
23) ’ ‘And with that?’ questioned the Heavy rumble
24) A deadweight anchors is a Heavy weight
25) O Halloran said that he and Leonard would go, but that Farrington wouldn’t go because he was a married man; and Farrington’s Heavy dirty eyes leered at the company in token that he understood he was being chaffed.
26) “Well, my coming to a brothel is no more bizarre than a harlot going to a mosque,” he said, his voice Heavy with insinuation.
27) They came to a stream that had risen due to Heavy rainfall.
28) She pushed back the Heavy fall of her hair and smiled with the sheer joy of being alive
29) My tongue felt Heavy in my mouth.
30) The passenger train was crushed to 1/3 of his length , because it consisted of light railbuses and the freight train locomotive was five times as Heavy as the passenger train