1) A place or building for making observations on the heavenly bodies.
2) A building fitted with instruments for making systematic observations of any particular class or series of natural phenomena.
3) A place, as an elevated chamber, from which a view may be observed or commanded.
4) A lookout on a flank of a battery whence an officer can note the range and effect of the fire.
Example Sentences for
1) It was discovered on June 4 , 2002 by astronomers Chad Trujillo and Michael Brown at the California Institute of Technology from images acquired at the Samuel Oschin Telescope at Palomar Observatory
2) Huggins built his own Observatory from where he and his wife looked at spectral emission lines and absorption lines of astronomical objects
3) A few years later , in 1872 , at the age of 24 , Palisa became the director of the Austrian Naval Observatory in Pula
4) Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy -LRB- SOFIA -RRB- , a joint project of NASA and the German Aerospace Center -LRB- DLR -RRB- for an airborne telescope
5) La Silla Observatory is an astronomical Observatory in Chile with eighteen telescopes
6) Strasbourg is the seat of several European institutions such as the Council of Europe -LRB- with its European Court of Human Rights , its European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and its European Audiovisual Observatory -RRB- and the Eurocorps as well as the European Parliament and the European Ombudsman of the European Union
7) The Observatory is one of the largest in the Southern Hemisphere
8) The purpose of the Cape May Bird Observatory is to do research , conservation , and create educational and recreational birding
9) The Prime Meridian is the meridian -LRB- line of longitude -RRB- that goes through the Royal Greenwich Observatory in London it is also known as the International Meridian or Greenwich Meridian
10) He worked in the Observatoire Royal de Belgique -LRB- Belgian Royal Observatory -RRB- , located in the town of Uccle -LRB- which was used to name 1276 Ucclia -RRB-
11) He worked in the Observatoire Royal de Belgique -LRB- Belgian Royal Observatory -RRB- , situated in the town of Uccle -LRB- after which the asteroid 1276 Ucclia is named -RRB-
12) Kalliope is somewhat elongated , approximately 166 km in diameter , and slightly asymmetric , as evidenced by resolved images taken with the VLT at the European Southern Observatory
13) The 89-story building features retail and office space in the lower section , and restaurants and a public Observatory near the top
14) The Observatory is one of the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere
15) The Observatory was relocated to its present site on Wakefield Road thanks to the generosity of Ella M. Stephens
16) Robert Innes , Director of the Union Observatory in Johannesburg , South Africa in 1915 , discovered that Proxima Centauri had the same proper motion as Alpha Centauri
17) Nine of these telescopes were built by the European Southern Observatory -LRB- ESO -RRB- organization , and several of the others are partly maintained by ESO
18) The Secret Agent revolves on an explosion at Greenwich Observatory which we never actually witness, as well as on the cryptic silence of young Stevie.
19) It is named after Lund Observatory , Sweden
20) In 1882 , Vogel became the Director at the Astrophysical Observatory Potsdam and he is best known for some work there in 1890
21) This determination of starting moment is more accurate than the Gregorian calendar because it is synchronized with the vernal equinox year , M. Heydari-Malayeri , A concise review of the Iranian calendar , Paris Observatory
22) Sometimes, indeed, a grizzly head might be seen, peering over the parapet-wall of a distant house; but it was quickly withdrawn again; and as the window of Oliver’s Observatory was nailed down, and dimmed with the rain and smoke of years, it was as much as he could do to make out the forms of the different objects beyond, without making any attempt to be seen or heard,—which he had as much chance of being, as if he had lived inside the ball of St.
23) Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy
24) It was discovered in 1915 by Robert Innes , the Director of the Union Observatory in South Africa
25) Its name was chosen by George Bishop , the owner of the Observatory , who named it after Amphitrite , a sea goddess in Greek mythology
26) The Secret Agent revolves on an explosion at Greenwich Observatory which we never actually witness, as well as on the cryptic silence of young Stevie.
27) It was found using data collected by at the CIDA Observatory in Venezuela
28) Kalliope is somewhat stretched , approximately 180 km in diameter , and slightly asymmetric , as evidenced by resolved images taken with the VLT at the European Southern Observatory synthesis including recent ones with the VLT 8m telescope
29) Despite this , by 1870 he was an assistant at the Universitys Observatory , and a year later gained a position at the Observatory in Geneva
30) In 1882 , Vogel became the Director at the Astrophysical Observatory Potsdam