1) A place or building for making observations on the heavenly bodies.
2) A building fitted with instruments for making systematic observations of any particular class or series of natural phenomena.
3) A place, as an elevated chamber, from which a view may be observed or commanded.
4) A lookout on a flank of a battery whence an officer can note the range and effect of the fire.
Example Sentences for
1) Kalliope is somewhat stretched , approximately 180 km in diameter , and slightly asymmetric , as evidenced by resolved images taken with the VLT at the European Southern Observatory synthesis including recent ones with the VLT 8m telescope
2) Despite this , by 1870 he was an assistant at the Universitys Observatory , and a year later gained a position at the Observatory in Geneva
3) Strasbourg is the seat of several European institutions such as the Council of Europe -LRB- with its European Court of Human Rights , its European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and its European Audiovisual Observatory -RRB- and the Eurocorps as well as the European Parliament and the European Ombudsman of the European Union
4) Robert Innes , Director of the Union Observatory in Johannesburg , South Africa in 1915 , discovered that Proxima Centauri had the same proper motion as Alpha Centauri
5) He worked at Lick Observatory beginning in 1888 but was appointed director of the University of Pittsburghs Allegheny Observatory in 1891
6) La Silla Observatory is an Observatory in Chile with eighteen telescopes that study the stars
7) It can be found about 160 kilometers north of La Serena , 27 kilometers south of the Las Campanas Observatory , and about 100 kilometers north of the Cerro Tololo Observatory
8) Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy
9) This determination of starting moment is more accurate than the Gregorian calendar because it is synchronized with the vernal equinox year , M. Heydari-Malayeri , A concise review of the Iranian calendar , Paris Observatory
10) In 1882 , Vogel became the Director at the Astrophysical Observatory Potsdam
11) The Observatory was relocated to its present site on Wakefield Road thanks to the generosity of Ella M. Stephens
12) A few years later , in 1872 , at the age of 24 , Palisa became the director of the Austrian Naval Observatory in Pula
13) Its name was chosen by George Bishop , the owner of the Observatory , who named it after Amphitrite , a sea goddess in Greek mythology
14) In 1882 , Vogel became the Director at the Astrophysical Observatory Potsdam and he is best known for some work there in 1890
15) The Secret Agent revolves on an explosion at Greenwich Observatory which we never actually witness, as well as on the cryptic silence of young Stevie.
16) An Observatory with its telescope , a gift of Lathrop Cooley , was a prominent feature of the building until 1939
17) La Silla Observatory is an astronomical Observatory in Chile with eighteen telescopes
18) Proxima Centauri was found to share the same proper motion as Alpha Centauri in 1915 by Robert Innes while he was Director of the Union Observatory in Johannesburg , South Africa
19) It was discovered in 1915 by Robert Innes , the Director of the Union Observatory in South Africa
20) It was found by Seth Barnes Nicholson in 1938 at Mount Wilson Observatory and is named after the mythological Lysithea , daughter of Oceanus and one of Zeus lovers
21) Huggins built a private Observatory at 90 Upper Tulse Hill , South London from where he and his wife carried out extensive observations of the spectral emission lines and absorption lines of various celestial objects
22) The Secret Agent revolves on an explosion at Greenwich Observatory which we never actually witness, as well as on the cryptic silence of young Stevie.
23) Another `` remarkably modern-looking ' globe of the Earth was made by Taqi al-Din at the Istanbul Observatory of Taqi al-Din during the 1570s
24) Kalliope is somewhat elongated , approximately 166 km in diameter , and slightly asymmetric , as evidenced by resolved images taken with the VLT at the European Southern Observatory
25) The purpose of the Cape May Bird Observatory is to do research , conservation , and create educational and recreational birding
26) Another `` remarkably modern-looking ' terrestrial globe of the Earth was constructed by Taqi al-Din at the Istanbul Observatory of Taqi al-Din during the 1570s
27) Sometimes, indeed, a grizzly head might be seen, peering over the parapet-wall of a distant house; but it was quickly withdrawn again; and as the window of Oliver’s Observatory was nailed down, and dimmed with the rain and smoke of years, it was as much as he could do to make out the forms of the different objects beyond, without making any attempt to be seen or heard,—which he had as much chance of being, as if he had lived inside the ball of St.
28) The Observatory is one of the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere
29) The Prime Meridian is the meridian -LRB- line of longitude -RRB- that goes through the Royal Greenwich Observatory in London it is also known as the International Meridian or Greenwich Meridian
30) A few years later , in 1872 , at the age of 24 , Palisa became the leader of the Austrian Naval Observatory in Pola