1) An extensive tract of level or rolling land, destitute of trees, covered with coarse grass, and usually characterized by a deep, fertile soil. They abound throughout the Mississippi valley, between the Alleghanies and the Rocky mountains.
2) A meadow or tract of grass; especially, a so called natural meadow.
Example Sentences for
1) It is in the eastern Prairie region of Western Canada
2) He is widely known for his roles as Little Joe Cartwright in Bonanza -LRB- 1959 -- 1973 -RRB- , Charles Ingalls in Little House on the Prairie -LRB- 1974 -- 1983 -RRB- , and Jonathan Smith in Highway to Heaven -LRB- 1984 -- 1989 -RRB-
3) The majority of the state is dominated by the mountain ranges and rangelands of the Rocky Mountain West , while the easternmost section of the state includes part of a high elevation Prairie region known as the High Plains
4) com -RRB- was an American artist that was born near Sun Prairie , Wisconsin , USA
5) He is probably best known for his roles on the TV shows , Bonanza , Little House on the Prairie , and Highway to Heaven
6) For example , a temperate grassland or shrubland biome is known commonly as steppe in central Asia , Prairie in North America , and pampas in South America
7) For example , a temperate grassland or shrubland biome is known commonly as steppe in central Asia , savanna or veld in southern Africa , Prairie in North America , pampa in South America and outback or scrub in Australia
8) Rainfall decreases from east to west , resulting in different types of Prairies , with the tallgrass Prairie in the wetter eastern region , mixed-grass Prairie in the central Great Plains , and shortgrass Prairie towards the rain shadow of the Rockies
9) Saskatoon also has a substantial Métis population and is close to the historically significant Southbranch Settlements to the north , as well as the Prairie Ronde settlement near Dundurn , Saskatchewan
10) Sea otters are vulnerable to oil spills and the indirect effects of overfishing ; the black-footed ferret , a relative of the European polecat , suffers from the loss of American Prairie ; and wolverine populations are slowly declining because of habitat destruction and persecution