1) Be silent; -- used elliptically for let there be silence, or keep silence.
1) The state of being silent; entire absence of sound or noise; absolute stillness.
2) Forbearance from, or absence of, speech; taciturnity; muteness.
3) Secrecy; as, these things were transacted in silence.
4) The cessation of rage, agitation, or tumilt; calmness; quiest; as, the elements were reduced to silence.
5) Absence of mention; oblivion.
1) To compel to silence; to cause to be still; to still; to hush.
2) To put to rest; to quiet.
3) To restrain from the exercise of any function, privilege of instruction, or the like, especially from the act of preaching; as, to silence a minister of the gospel.
4) To cause to cease firing, as by a vigorous cannonade; as, to silence the batteries of an enemy.
Example Sentences for
1) After a short Silence which succeeded the first surprise and enquiries of meeting, Marianne asked Edward if he came directly from London.
2) She sat in Silence watching him, and he had told her all he had to say.
3) There was Silence for a moment.
4) It was a sequel to Silence of the Lambs
5) The Magus listened in Silence to Brida’s invocations.
6) At least he wasn‟t like Jarrod with his double life and Silence for periods of time.
7) There was a sudden Silence in the trees where monkeys had been chattering to one another
8) Presently even that sound died out, and the whole of The Fisherman’s Restsseemed wrapt in sleep, save the two young men drinking in Silence beside the hearth.
9) I made the drive awkward with my assumptions as we rode in Silence now.
10) There is, in fact, a kind of absent centre in almost all of Conrad’s works – some missing factor, enigma or core of Silence which resists being represented.
11) A waiter knocked and came in with crushed mint and ice but the Silence was unbroken by his ‘Thank yousand the soft closing of the door.
12) The twelve jurors were all writing very busily on slates. ‘What are they doing?sAlice whispered to the Gryphon. ‘They can’t have anything to put down yet, before the trial’s begun.’ ‘They’re putting down their names,sthe Gryphon whispered in reply, for fear they should forget them before the end of the trial.’ ‘Stupid things!sAlice began in a loud, indignant voice, but she stopped hastily, for the White Rabbit cried out, Silence in the court!sand the King put on his spectacles and looked anxiously round, to make out who was talking.
13) A formidable Silence hung over the scene
14) A dim light shone at intervals from some bedroom window; and the hoarse barking of dogs occasionally broke the Silence of the night.
15) His Silence was the answer to all of my questions, but I still found it hard to accept what had happened.
16) In 1996 , Cohen was ordained as a Rinzai Zen Buddhist monk and took the Dharma name Jikan , meaning `` Silence '
17) Did you know that before, Oliver?’ ‘No, sir.’ ‘Then don’t forget it another time.’ ‘An ass,ssaid the doctor again, after a further Silence of some minutes.
18) “The Silence that follows a massive disaster is the most peaceful sound you can hear on the surface of the world,” he said, his voice slurring.
19) Did you think he came directly from town?’ ‘No,sreplied Elinor, most feelingly sensible of every fresh circumstance in favour of Lucy’s veracity; I remember he told us, that he had been staying a fortnight with some friends near Plymouth.sShe remembered too, her own surprise at the time, at his mentioning nothing farther of those friends, at his total Silence with respect even to their names. ‘Did not you think him sadly out of spirits?srepeated Lucy. ‘We did, indeed, particularly so when he first arrived.’
20) Mr Brownlow gently shook his head to impose Silence on his friend, and resumed: ‘Do you know where this poor boy is now?’ ‘No more than nobody,sreplied Mr Bumble. ‘Well, what DO you know of him?sinquired the old gentleman.
21) A Silence took possession of the little room and, under cover of it, I approached the table and tasted my sherry and then returned quietly to my chair in the comer.
22) The twelve jurors were all writing very busily on slates. ‘What are they doing?sAlice whispered to the Gryphon. ‘They can’t have anything to put down yet, before the trial’s begun.’ ‘They’re putting down their names,sthe Gryphon whispered in reply, for fear they should forget them before the end of the trial.’ ‘Stupid things!sAlice began in a loud, indignant voice, but she stopped hastily, for the White Rabbit cried out, Silence in the court!sand the King put on his spectacles and looked anxiously round, to make out who was talking.
23) I was innocent; that could easily be proved; accordingly I followed my conductor in Silence and was led to one of the best houses in the town.
24) At least he wasn‟t like Jarrod with his double life and Silence for periods of time.
25) The abrupt sides of vast mountains were before me; the icy wall of the glacier overhung me; a few shattered pines were scattered around; and the solemn Silence of this glorious presence-chamber of imperial nature was broken only by the brawling waves or the fall of some vast fragment, the thunder sound of the avalanche or the cracking, reverberated along the mountains, of the accumulated ice, which, through the silent working of immutable laws, was ever and anon rent and torn, as if it had been but a plaything in their hands.
26) She sat in Silence almost all the way, wrapt in her own meditations, and scarcely ever voluntarily speaking, except when any object of picturesque beauty within their view drew from her an exclamation of delight exclusively addressed to her sister.
27) ' 'I don't need-' Shdanoff hailed a taxi and they rode in a strained Silence to a mall
28) When the strain of the Silence had become somewhat painful Miss Healy said to the baritone: ‘Have you seen Mrs Pat Campbell this week?’
29) Under cover of her Silence he pressed her arm closely to his side; and, as they stood at the hotel door, he felt that they had escaped from their lives and duties, escaped from home and friends and run away together with wild and radiant hearts to a new adventure.
30) Amid this chaos I stood in a place of unperturbed Silence and serenity, utterly indifferent to the world and yet at the same time feeling a burning love for all the people struggling and suffering in it.