1) obs. 3d pers. sing. pres. of Sit, for sitteth.
1) To rest upon the haunches, or the lower extremity of the trunk of the body; -- said of human beings, and sometimes of other animals; as, to sit on a sofa, on a chair, or on the ground.
2) To perch; to rest with the feet drawn up, as birds do on a branch, pole, etc.
3) To remain in a state of repose; to rest; to abide; to rest in any position or condition.
4) To lie, rest, or bear; to press or weigh; -- with on; as, a weight or burden sits lightly upon him.
5) To be adjusted; to fit; as, a coat sts well or ill.
6) To suit one well or ill, as an act; to become; to befit; -- used impersonally.
7) To cover and warm eggs for hatching, as a fowl; to brood; to incubate.
8) To have position, as at the point blown from; to hold a relative position; to have direction.
9) To occupy a place or seat as a member of an official body; as, to sit in Congress.
10) To hold a session; to be in session for official business; -- said of legislative assemblies, courts, etc.; as, the court sits in January; the aldermen sit to-night.
11) To take a position for the purpose of having some artistic representation of one's self made, as a picture or a bust; as, to sit to a painter.
12) To sit upon; to keep one's seat upon; as, he sits a horse well.
13) To cause to be seated or in a sitting posture; to furnish a seat to; -- used reflexively.
14) To suit (well / ill); to become.
Example Sentences for
1) Elinor could Sit it no longer.
2) “Come Sit back down before you fall hopping around without your crutch.”
3) Madra released me and grabbed my hands, “I want you to Sit right here.
4) How to Love is Sit in silence and try to formulate questions that will assist patients to figure out what they should do to change their lives
5) Her time was running out but she continued to Sit by the window, leaning her head against the window curtain, inhaling the odour of dusty cretonne.
6) They also tell them about a prophecy that the witch will fail when two Sons of Adam -LRB- human males -RRB- and two Daughters of Eve -LRB- human females -RRB- Sit on the thrones at Cair Paravel , Narnias ruling castle
7) The girl jumped up, with great alacrity; poured it quickly out, but with her back towards him; and held the vessel to his lips, while he drank off the contents. ‘Now,ssaid the robber, come and Sit aside of me, and put on your own face; or I ll alter it so, that you won’t know it agin when you do want it.’
8) In my itch to Sit next to someone who would not speak ill of Shams, I sat next to Suleiman the Drunk.
9) In a few minutes, however, Marianne was recovered enough to put an end to the bustle, and Sit down among the rest; though her spirits retained the impression of what had passed, the whole evening. ‘Poor Marianne!ssaid her brother to Colonel Brandon, in a low voice, as soon as he could secure his attention,— ‘She has not such good health as her sister,—she is very nervous,—she has not Elinor’s constitution;—and one must allow that there is something very trying to a young woman who HAS BEEN a beauty in the loss of her personal attractions.
10) She would get up, make a quick cup of coffee, and Sit down to contemplate the cards, trying to decipher their hidden language.
11) Turn on the automatic aiming system again, then Sit back and watch the show.
12) You‟ve become such a great friend to me and I can‟t Sit and watch a good woman go through this.”
13) “I wanted to see you,” he said quietly, and pulled up a stool to Sit beside her.
14) Blankets may also be used on the ground for a picnic or other places where people want to Sit in a grassy or muddy area without soiling their clothing
15) Can you Sit up all the way by yourself?
16) 32 Sed ut perspiciatis , unde omnis iste natus error Sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium , totam rem aperiam eaque ipsa , quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt , explicabo
17) I know some witches who always keep a pen and paper by the phone, and while they’re talking to someone, they Sit doodling apparently nonsensical things.
18) I think the audience was nearly as relieved to see her Sit down as they were to see me get up!
19) Being assisted by the doctor, he managed to Sit up in bed for a minute or so; and looked at the strangers without at all understanding what was going forward—in fact, without seeming to recollect where he was, or what had been passing. ‘This,ssaid Mr Losberne, speaking softly, but with great vehemence notwithstanding, this is the lad, who, being accidently wounded by a spring-gun in some boyish trespass on Mr What-dsye-call-him’s grounds, at the back here, comes to the house for assistance this morning, and is immediately laid hold of and maltreated, by that ingenious gentleman with the candle in his hand: who has placed his life in considerable danger, as I can professionally certify.’
20) In my itch to Sit next to someone who would not speak ill of Shams, I sat next to Suleiman the Drunk.
21) Still, in his heart, he recollected that her ladyship was after all only one of them furriners”; what wonder that she was immoral like the rest of them? ‘Don’t Sit up, honest Jellyband,scontinued Marguerite kindly, nor you either, Mistress Sally.
22) Every day from dusk to dawn, I Sit in the library on my own and think of nothing but Shams.
23) But ‘no, she would go down; she could bear it very well, and the bustle about her would be less.sElinor, pleased to have her governed for a moment by such a motive, though believing it hardly possible that she could Sit out the dinner, said no more; and adjusting her dress for her as well as she could, while Marianne still remained on the bed, was ready to assist her into the dining room as soon as they were summoned to it.
24) “You thought maybe I d Sit in Tahoe waiting to hear how you were?”
25) Article 31 of the statute sets out a procedure whereby ad hoc judges Sit on contentious cases before the Court
26) Tavis let me choose which side of the booth I wanted to Sit in before he sat down.
27) Some one who had been driving a little behind us confirmed this and the policeman turned away. ‘Now, if you’ll let me have that name again correct——‘ Picking up Wilson like a doll Tom carried him into the office, set him down in a chair and came back. ‘If somebody’ll come here and Sit with him!she snapped authoritatively.
28) Klaus felt his body go limp as the hook-handed man left the room, and he wanted to Sit there for a moment and catch his breath
29) You're going to Sit in this chair and I'll ask you some questions off-camera
30) In a few minutes, however, Marianne was recovered enough to put an end to the bustle, and Sit down among the rest; though her spirits retained the impression of what had passed, the whole evening. ‘Poor Marianne!ssaid her brother to Colonel Brandon, in a low voice, as soon as he could secure his attention,— ‘She has not such good health as her sister,—she is very nervous,—she has not Elinor’s constitution;—and one must allow that there is something very trying to a young woman who HAS BEEN a beauty in the loss of her personal attractions.