2) Belonging to the state, or body politic; public.
1) The circumstances or condition of a being or thing at any given time.
2) Rank; condition; quality; as, the state of honor.
3) Condition of prosperity or grandeur; wealthy or prosperous circumstances; social importance.
4) Appearance of grandeur or dignity; pomp.
5) A chair with a canopy above it, often standing on a dais; a seat of dignity; also, the canopy itself.
6) Estate, possession.
7) A person of high rank.
8) Any body of men united by profession, or constituting a community of a particular character; as, the civil and ecclesiastical states, or the lords spiritual and temporal and the commons, in Great Britain. Cf. Estate, n., 6.
9) The principal persons in a government.
10) The bodies that constitute the legislature of a country; as, the States-general of Holland.
11) A form of government which is not monarchial, as a republic.
12) A political body, or body politic; the whole body of people who are united one government, whatever may be the form of the government; a nation.
13) In the United States, one of the commonwealth, or bodies politic, the people of which make up the body of the nation, and which, under the national constitution, stands in certain specified relations with the national government, and are invested, as commonwealth, with full power in their several spheres over all matters not expressly inhibited.
14) Highest and stationary condition, as that of maturity between growth and decline, or as that of crisis between the increase and the abating of a disease; height; acme.
15) A statement; also, a document containing a statement.
1) To set; to settle; to establish.
2) To express the particulars of; to set down in detail or in gross; to represent fully in words; to narrate; to recite; as, to state the facts of a case, one's opinion, etc.
Examples Sentences for
1) Each State has a governor
2) Townsville is a city on the north-eastern coast of Australia , in the State of Queensland
3) The State which this senior branch ruled and from which the dynasty took its name was the County of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen -LRB- -RRB- , which later became a principality -LRB- Fürstentum Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen -RRB-
4) In this State I roam east and west, searching for God high and low.
5) Craig is a first-class city in the Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area in the Unorganized Borough in the U.S. State of Alaska
6) Secretary of State John Foster Dulles defined the Middle East as `` the area lying between and including Libya on the west and Pakistan on the east , Syria and Iraq on the North and the Arabian peninsula to the south , plus the Sudan and Ethiopia . '
7) Authentic Neapolitan pizzas are made with local ingredients like San Marzano tomatoes , which grow on the volcanic plains to the south of Mount Vesuvius and Mozzarella di Bufala Campana , made with the milk from water buffalo raised in the marshlands of Campania and Lazio in a semi-wild State -LRB- this mozzarella is protected with its own European the genuine Neapolitan pizza dough consists of Italian flour , natural Neapolitan yeast or brewers yeast , salt and water
8) Aue-Schwarzenberg is a rural district in the Free State of Saxony , in the country of Germany
9) In the Off State , the voltage is at zero
10) Okmulgee County is a county located in the U.S. State of Oklahoma
11) -LRB- Russian -RRB- Gosudarstvenny gimn Rossiyskoy Federatsii -LRB- transliteration -RRB- State Anthem of the Russian Federation
12) Its purpose is to switch of the machine as quickly as possible , or to bring it into a State where it can no longer do harm
13) Prior to the 12th century however , the first Thai or Siamese State is traditionally considered to be the Buddhist kingdom of Sukhothai , which was founded in 1238
14) The Nara period of the 8th century marked the first emergence of a strong Japanese State
15) The economy of the State is largely based on agriculture and cattle-raising
16) A thermodynamic State is the macroscopic condition of a thermodynamic system as described by its particular thermodynamic parameters
17) Mr Fang sat silent for some minutes, and then, turning round to the prosecutor, said in a towering passion. ‘Do you mean to State what your complaint against this boy is, man, or do you not?
18) It was planned and built to be the State capital in 1855
19) They conceive of every necessity as troublesome, as a painful compulsory obedience and State of constraint; thinking itself is regarded by them as something slow and hesitating, almost as a trouble, and often enough as worthy of the SWEAT of the nobleíóbut not at all as something easy and divine, closely related to dancing and exuberance!
20) Forsyth County is a county located in the U.S. State of Georgia
21) Here they discuss the State of Oxford: I am but just arrived, says Hugh, will you be kind enough to give me such intelligence as may aid me to regulate my conduct? . . .
22) Zapata County is a county in the U.S. State of Texas
23) The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers -LRB- ICANN , -RRB- is a non-profit corporation headquartered in Marina del Rey , California , United States that was created on September 18 , 1998 , and incorporated on September 30 , 1998California Secretary of State , Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
24) Reynoldsburg is a city in Fairfield , Franklin , and Licking counties in the U.S. State of Ohio
25) Mrs Jennings had determined very early in the seizure that Marianne would never get over it, and Colonel Brandon, who was chiefly of use in listening to Mrs Jennings’s forebodings, was not in a State of mind to resist their influence.
26) The doctor, who was universally considered one of the best-tempered creatures on earth, made this demand in such a dreadful tone of anger, that Giles and Brittles, who were considerably muddled by ale and excitement, stared at each other in a State of stupefaction. ‘Pay attention to the reply, constable, will you?ssaid the doctor, shaking his forefinger with great solemnity of manner, and tapping the bridge of his nose with it, to bespeak the exercise of that worthy’s utmost acuteness.
27) Hewes was elected to the North Carolina legislature in 1763 , only three years after he moved to the State
28) L.C. Green explained this by saying that `` recognition of Statehood is a matter of discretion , it is open to any existing State to accept as a State any entity it wishes , regardless of the existence of territory or an established government
29) Excluding Midway , which is an unincorporated territory of the United States , the Hawaiian Islands form the U.S. State of Hawaii
30) Crawford County is a county found in the State of Arkansas